About Dental Exams
A thorough dental exam is the key to early detection and prevention. As a patient in our practice, you can expect your dental exam to be a team approach, completed by both the dentist and dental hygienist. Your exam will include the following:
- Soft Tissue and Oral Cancer Exam: Soft tissues in the mouth, including the tongue, cheeks, hard and soft palate, the floor of the mouth, and throat will be evaluated for any signs of pathology, such as oral cancer. Additionally, the lips, face, and neck will be inspected...
- Periodontal Evaluation (Gum Disease): Your gums will be evaluated for signs of inflammation and infection. Areas of the gums that bleed upon brushing and flossing will be specifically examined. We understand that these “bleeding spots” contain chronic inflammatory factors that may be linked to your systemic health. Your periodontal exam will also include an evaluation of the bone support around the teeth. Your level of oral hygiene, systemic health and genetic risk factors, tobacco use, gum health, and bone levels are all taken into consideration when determining the type of dental cleaning best for you.
- Review of Diagnostic Radiographs (X-Rays): All of our x-rays are digital, providing you with a more comfortable experience, a higher quality image for better detection, and significantly less radiation exposure. Different x-rays are required to detect decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss; your dentist will determine which images will be needed to complete a thorough examination.
- Decay Detection: Complete cavity inspection will be completed on all tooth surfaces. Often, suspicious areas are verified with the use of special cavity detection dye to ensure accuracy.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Our team will check all your current fillings, crowns, and root canals.
- Cosmetic Exam (Smile Assessment): “Are you happy with your smile?” If you have ever considered improving your smile or whitening your teeth, let our dentists complete a smile assessment that includes a complete examination of your occlusion (bite), tooth shape and form, facial form, shade analysis, and gingival symmetry assessment. New technologies offer patients a wide range of options to improve their smiles – any of our dentists would be pleased to discuss these options with you.
Benefits Of Dental Exams
Regular dental exams in Saratoga Springs, NY at Saratoga Springs Family Dentistry offer a number of great benefits, including:
- They are quick, easy, and comfortable
- Provides early diagnosis of oral health issues
- Supports better treatment outcomes
- Typically includes a thorough dental cleaning
- Gives you an opportunity to discuss issues and ask questions
- Checks dental restorations and appliances
- Helps keep your smile beautiful and healthy
Dental Exam Reviews
"Hands down the best decision I ever made was changing my dentist. Not saying my previous dentist was horrible or anything. I just knew I wanted to get my teeth and smile back to what I know and love. I was not getting that attention at my previous office. The care that I receive at Dr. Dodd's office is beyond amazing. The moment you walk into the door and the time you leave, the care that Chanel and staff provide is like no other. Since being a new client of Dr. Dodd I have not only had one but two "emergency" situations, when I arrived everyone took great care of me. Spoke with Chanel and she assured me that everything was being taken care of and not to worry about anything. My care is their number one priority. They got me in right away and was able to help me both times. They saw the problem and fixed it in a timely manner. Talk about pain free within hour leaving the office is mind blowing. As a new client that makes me feel really comfortable knowing a dentist office actually cares about my well-being. If you have been on the fence on wanting to change dentist.... DO IT!!!! Dr. Dodd and staff are amazing and I'm glad I have better care. Better cleanings, better smile and most importantly I have more confidence in myself. Thank you all for everything you do! Beth Belair"- B.B. / Google / Feb 16, 2023
"Dr. Marcus and my hygienist were absolutely amazing. I have severe dentist anxiety and had not been for an embarrassing amount of time. They were so kind and understanding and even with an invasive procedure, there was no discomfort whatsoever! Highly recommend!"- N.H. / Google / Mar 15, 2023
"Channel answers every call, tentatively listens, explains situation to Dr. Dodd & calls right back w/ an appt. Great team! Dr. Dodd there aren’t words for his expertise, attention to detail, w/ an impeccable work ethic and skill. Love them both and the entire office. Would strongly recommend them to anyone!"- M.S. / Google / Feb 16, 2023
"I had my teeth whitened by Schallehn. She was terrific. Suy set up that appointment and consulted with me about other work SFDD is doing for me. She is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Dr. Dodd also went over the other work I'm having done. His recommendations and explanations were spot on and very helpful. All in all I'm very happy with this practice."- B.P. / Google / Feb 16, 2023
"I have been a patient of Dr. Dodd for many years. He truly is passionate about dentistry and shows great compassion for his patients. Aside from routine cleaning and maintenance, my teeth have been transformed by Dr. Dodd through Invisalign, his incredible cosmetic bonding work and Zoom whitening! Dr. Dodd and his amazing team are always super friendly and accommodating! Special thanks to Suy and Chanel for always bringing a smile to my face and making me feel extremely welcomed!"- K.S. / Google / Feb 17, 2023
Dental Exam FAQ
How long does a dental exam take?
A dental exam takes about 30 minutes. Typically a dental exam is done with a cleaning — so the entire process may take 60 – 90 minutes.
Are dental exams painful?
No, dental exams aren't painful at all. Some people with sensitive teeth may find the teeth cleaning portion uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt.
How often should you have a dental exam?
The ADA (American Dental Association) recommends that everyone should have a regular dental exam at least once a year. If you are experiencing tooth pain or other dental issues, it is always best to have a dental exam as soon as possible to prevent small issues from turning into serious problems.
Protect Your Smile
Achieving a clean smile takes more effort than just visiting your dental practitioner when you notice a problem. Yearly dental exams at Saratoga Springs Family Dentistry optimize chances for early identification and care for oral problems and are crucial in safeguarding your health. Plan your family's annual oral exams at our Saratoga Springs, NY office.
How Often Should I Have a Dental Exam?
Learn why it’s important to visit your dentist at least twice per year for a dental exam to catch cavities and other problems early.Read
Here's What to Expect at Your Next Dental Exam
Keep your smile healthy and prevent unnecessary complications by attending regular dental exams.Read
How to Maintain the Dental Health of Your Kids at Home
Regular cleanings and dental exams are essential, but at-home oral hygiene also plays an important role in the health of your child’s teeth.Read
How Are Teeth Prepped For Porcelain Veneers?
Find out about cosmetic dentistry, like porcelain veneers, in Saratoga Springs, NY here.Read